November 1-2, 2018 (Next Retreat in 2020)
The STANDOUT-COI Recruitment Retreat is a two-day program that aims to support program directors, faculty, and administrators that work with diverse undergraduates in preparation for doctoral studies. As a participant, you will have the opportunity to hear from Stanford faculty, staff, and current graduate students about PhD studies at Stanford and take the information that you learn back to your students. You will also have the opportunity to inform Stanford of how to best partner with your program to ensure recruitment success.
Sessions will include topics such as:
- An overview of Stanford's doctoral programs and resources for diverse populations
- How applications are reviewed at Stanford
- What makes an application competitive
- What makes a competitive statement of purpose
- Ideal recommendation letters
- Your role in the recruitment and application process
Participating Stanford organizations will include the PhD Programs in Biosciences in the School of Medicine, the School of Business, the School of Earth Sciences, the School of Humanities and Sciences (Humanities, Social Sciences, & Natural Sciences), the School of Engineering, and the School of Education.
- Expose those who help prepare diverse undergraduates for doctoral education to the opportunities and research at Stanford
- Provide information on what makes a competitive Stanford graduate application
- Provide information that will assist you in your role as an advisor to students interested in doctoral studies
- Promote awareness of diversity among Stanford students, faculty, and staff
- Promote graduate study access to students coming from diverse social and educational backgrounds
- Increase the number of underrepresented minority graduate students at Stanford
Who should attend?
- Graduate school prep program administrators (i.e. McNair and MARC) - limit of 2 representatives per school program
- Faculty and staff that advise or support diverse undergraduates interested in graduate study
- Participation will be limited to space available. Registration will be on a first come, first served basis.
- Students cannot register for this event.
Click Here to Register
Registration is $75 before August 31 (early-bird) or $100 after August 31 and includes double-occupancy lodging. Travel expenses are the responsibility of the attendee. Participation will be limited to space available. Registration will be on a first come, first served basis, so register early. Registration scholarships are available. Contact email@example.com.
How to register:
- Step 1: Complete the Pre-Registration Survey. When you submit this survey, you will be taken to the Registration website.
- Step 2: Register and pay your registration fee of $75(via credit card or check). Canceled registrations will be charged $10 ($65 refund). Cancelations within 2 weeks of the event are not eligible for refund. If you are paying by check, your space is not confirmed until payment has been received. All hotel reservations for confirmed participants will be made through Stanford University. Participants will be housed at the Sheraton Palo Alto.